Taking to her Instagram Story on Thursday (January 11), the artist condemned her father's actions in a three-part letter to her followers. "Buku here. I just want to say a few things," she began. "Before I start, I just want it to be known I am speaking from the heart, nothing I say or do not say is to hurt ANY party reading this or affected by this." She continued: "To the people that feel I should be speaking up/against everything that is going on right now. I just want you all to understand that devastated is an understatement for all that I feel currently I do apologize if my silence to all that is happening comes off as careless. That is my last intention. I pray for all the families & women who have been affected by my father's actions. Trust, I have been deeply affected by all of this."
Buku, previously known as Joann Kelly, admitted that it's "been very difficult to process it all," and that she's struggled to find the right words to express her feelings since the airing of the gutwrenching Surviving R. Kelly docu-series. However, after she made it clear that she nor her mother, Andrea Kelly, nor siblings have a relationship with her father, she began to express the pain that he's caused them. "My mother, siblings and I would never condone, support or be a part of ANYTHING negative he has done and or continues to do in his life," Buku explained. "Going through all I have gone through in my life, I would never want anyone to feel the pain I have felt. Reminders of how terrible my father is, and how we should be speaking up against him, rude comments about my family, fabricating me, my siblings & our mothers 'part' etc. Does not help my family (Me, my sister, my brother, and my mother) in our healing process. Nor does it allow a safe space for other victims who are scared to speak up, speak up."
"The same monster you all confronting me about is my father. I am well aware of who and what he is. I grew up in that house. My choice to not speak on him and what he does is for my peace of mind. My emotional state," she shared. "And for MY healing. I have to do & move in a manner that is best for me. I pray anyone who reads this understands I put nothing but good intent behind each word. It took me nearly 3 days to write this. I just want everyone to know that I do care and I love you all. This is a very difficult subject to speak on... again, I apologize if my words don't come out right.."
Buku concluded her message by thanking those who have reached out her and her family during this difficult time.
As previously reported, the disgraced singer spoke out for the first time about his alleged sexual abuse earlier this week. While celebrating his 52nd birthday in a Chicago nightclub early Thursday morning, he grabbed the mic at one point and said, "It's my motherf**cking birthday and I don't give a f**k about what's going on!!" — clearly referring to the fallout from the Surviving R. Kelly documentary series.
Kelly is being criminally investigated in Georgia because of the recently released docu-series, which sent shockwaves throughout audiences with its gripping and harrowing recounts of Kelly's alleged sexual abuse — told by seven alleged survivors — over the last 20-plus years. Fulton County District Attorney's Office opened an investigation into the allegations made against the singer in the three-part docu-series shortly after the first episode aired on Lifetime Thursday (January 3). The office was also reportedly flooded with calls from people with their own stories, which is said to have encouraged them to begin their investigation.
Kelly has denied all allegations of sexual abuse or misconduct against him.
Photo: Getty Images