School is back in session in less than two weeks and there are going to be some COVID protocol changes for Chicago Public Schools. So instead of masks and vaccine mandates, there will be "close contact" procedures put in place.
Those who are not vaccinated will have three options when they are considered a “close contact” of a COVID case:
- Have proof of full vaccination
- Stay at home for a period of five days, and then wear a mask in school for days 6-10
- Participate in "Test-to-Stay" protocols - what are they? With "Test-to-Stay" protocols, students and faculty must:
- Get two rapid tests from their school
- Test negative on the Monday and Thursday after exposure, then submit results to CPS
- Remain symptom-free throughout the following days
- Wear a mask and don't participate in sports and extracurricular activities for 10 days after exposure
Sounds like a lot, but remember cases are on the rise and it's all about staying safe. The first day of school is Aug. 22nd.